TCRN Visiting Fellowships 2023: Call for Applications
Please note applications have now closed.
The TikTok Cultures Research Network (TCRN) is a portal for scholarly resources, research projects, and events that connects networks of qualitative scholars of various disciplines from around the world, supported by Curtin University. As part of our mission to foster impactful collaborations and networking opportunities, TCRN has established the TCRN Visiting Fellowship program, with the aim of facilitating research collaborations for junior, under-represented, and under-privileged scholars whose expertise and interest coincides with the TCRN research themes.
The TCRN Visiting Fellowship is an opportunity for HDRs (Higher Degree by Research) and ECRs (Early Career Researchers) to conduct research examining TikTok cultures in collaboration with scholars at TCRN in Curtin University. In 2023, we will be awarding 1 x TCRN HDR Visiting Fellowship and 1 x TCRN ECR Visiting Fellowship.
Applicants can apply from Australia or Overseas. However, they must ensure they are able to obtain the appropriate visa for entry into Australia. We particularly welcome applicants from the Asia Pacific region.
● HDR scheme: Applicants must be actively enrolled in a Masters or PhD program at the time of application.
● ECR scheme: Applicants must have received their PhD in the last 5 years, or have eligible commensurate career disruption
It is expected that Fellows will be based physically at Curtin University’s Bentley campus in Perth, Western Australia, for at least 4 weeks. Fellows must commence and complete any time between June–November 2023. Fellows will need to organize their own flights, visas, accommodation, and everyday logistics.
TCRN and Curtin University will award each Fellow a one-off stipend of AUD5000 to assist with costs, and it is anticipated that Fellows will supplement this with another source of funding from their host institute. This stipend will be paid in two stages: 50% upon the confirmation of flights prior to arrival, and 50% upon completion of the Fellowship.
Curtin University will offer an office space with computer and internet facilities, library privileges, and access to events in the Faculty of Humanities. TCRN will offer opportunities for Fellows to present their research, and facilitate mentorship opportunities with senior scholars.
The TCRN Visiting Fellowship scheme is aimed at facilitating collaborative research opportunities and outputs. Upon completion of the programme, it is expected that Fellows will have:
● Presented 1 research talk at a seminar facilitated by TCRN
● Prepared 1 collaborative/co-authored journal article in close-to-completion form, aimed for publication in a high ranking journal in the fields of media studies, communication, cultural studies, sociology, anthropology, or a related field
● For ECR Fellows only: Conducted 1 HDR meet-and-greet session to offer students mentoring in an area of their choosing (i.e. career development, research methods, grant applications, etc.)
In 2023, TCRN is focused on three expertise topics, and encourages proposals broadly covering one of the following:
● Children and families on TikTok
● Creator and digital economies on TikTok
● Fandom on TikTok
The application process is two-fold.
● In the first instance, please submit a 1-page CV and 1-page collaboration intent letter, and indicate when you wish to undertake the Fellowship (at least 4 weeks) by 30 April 2023. The collaboration intent letter should briefly include the proposed project or research topic, proposed researchers involved, and proposed output. Shortlisted candidates will be notified by 5 May 2023.
● In the second instance, shortlisted applicants will be invited to submit further materials detailing their research plan, project timeline, and methods by 19 May 2023. Successful applicants will be notified by 26 May 2023.
To submit your application, for further information, and for any queries, please contact TCRN Founder Professor Crystal Abidin at crystal.abidin[at]curtin.edu.au.
Click here to download a .pdf of the above information